On Tuesdays, we like to share some wisdom from the greatest leaders in the world. We feel that the information we can bring to you from our own education and experience is limited, but these incredibly successful leaders, coaches, generals, entrepreneurs, and educators can bring so much more. So, in an attempt to grow ourselves as well as share information for you to grow, we seek out their knowledge and present it here, in our Learn From The Leaders series.
There is no doubt that Anthony Robbins is the sort of example we can all learn from. He has coached athletes like Andre Agassi and Jon “Bones” Jones, celebrities like Oprah Winfrey and Hugh Jackman, and a slew of other politicians, business professionals, and educators. His track record time and time again proves that he has the insight and know-how to generate results. Today, we’re taking a look at his 5 principles for success. According to Tony, using these guides as foundational rules in your life will grant you success in any area – financially or otherwise.
Tony’s 5 Prinicpals
- Raise Your Standards Many people often think about what they should be doing right now. I should make that call, should go exercise, should etc… The problem is that people are “shoulding” all over themselves, accepting low standards for what they will do with their lives. Transform your shoulds into musts in order to actually change your life. Think about it this way; have you ever, despite having no money, been able to take an expensive vacation or cover a high medical cost? That’s because, for that moment, you identified a must in your life and attained it with ease. When you feel that you absolutely must get something done, you will find a way.
- Change Your Limiting Beliefs If you’ve accomplished step one, you’ve made great progress. However, actually attaining those musts begins with a large hurdle. Do you actually think you can succeed? You see, even if you verbalize an affirmative belief, chances are you will find yourself attacking the goal halfheartedly, even sometimes sabotaging yourself along the way. You have a conflict inside because you’re afraid of failure, and will tell yourself that you “can’t”. If you don’t end the conflict and settle on success, you will fail. Realign yourself with the goal so intensely that you can’t see anything to be afraid of.
- Model Strategies That Work As we learned from Mel Robbins (no relation) a few weeks ago, there is someone out there that has already written the instruction manual to achieve your dream. Mimic the strategies of someone who paved the path you’re on and you’ll get the results you want. Success has less to do with chance and more to do with consistent, persistent successful action.
- Intensify Your Emotions You’re going to go through crap on the way to your goals. It won’t be fun, I promise. However, it’s an incredible opportunity. You see, successful people take those setbacks and use them as fuel for their determination. You see, successful people are the ones that have to win, so they won’t let setbacks defeat them. You may say, “But I’m not a competitive person!” To that I tell you to find a reason to become one. When faced with a challenge, beat it. Come out a winner and success is yours.
- Give Much More Than You Expect to Receive In order to be successful, you need to find true fulfillment. The things you get in life will decay once you’re gone. However, what you give to the world will last. Your legacy should be founded on giving the world way, way more than it could hope to repay you for. Humans aren’t born to be selfish. Society raises us to be. Successful people have broken away from that and found that, in giving, life is far more meaningful and success more abundant.
I hope these tips will impact your life as much as they have mine over the years. Let us know what you think about Tony’s principles in the comments below. We’ll see you next week!